Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Convention Pet Peeves

Convention Pet Peeves 1 year 11 months ago #5439

• Teddybear
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 7
Hey everyone! <3 What's your convention pet peeve? What do some conventions do that bother you? For me, I hate when they have long lines on the outside in scorching hot July heat. Especially when it is the super long registration line on the first day of the con! Another pet peeve of mine is when I'm at the artist alley and I see booths selling obviously stolen art. I once had a booth at an artist alley and had to sit next to one of those people and I recognized art that I saw on tumblr that I knew didn't belong to them (because I was a big fan of the real artist.) :/
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Convention Pet Peeves 1 year 11 months ago #5440

• Captain Theo
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
Teddybear wrote:
Hey everyone! <3 What's your convention pet peeve? What do some conventions do that bother you? For me, I hate when they have long lines on the outside in scorching hot July heat. Especially when it is the super long registration line on the first day of the con! Another pet peeve of mine is when I'm at the artist alley and I see booths selling obviously stolen art. I once had a booth at an artist alley and had to sit next to one of those people and I recognized art that I saw on tumblr that I knew didn't belong to them (because I was a big fan of the real artist.) :/

Called finding someone you know there to go grab a con person on their ass. :) I've seen people get booted from shows over that sort of stuff.

Anyone who touches me without permission. Anyone.
People who block entire major walking areas to take pictures or have their picture taken. Be courteous enough to get to a side at least!
Anyone with a stroller, backpack on wheels, or other things I wish to deliver a swift kick to.
Large props being wielded by people who don't pay attention. Hit me in the face one more time motherfucker, see what happens!
People who follow you because you cosplay a character you like, therefor you are their new best friend for the convention.
Creepy motherfuckers.
Conventions that charge $40+ a day, for zero actual content. I'm talking no panels, viewing rooms, events... just you get in to shop and pay for autographs. If you're getting a ton  of people at that price, at least work out a deal with celebrities to give free autographs. Come on.
All of MotorCity ComicCon.
All of Youmacon.
Anime fans that do not know of any anime before the Toonami reboot, and do not intend on ever finding out that anime exists outside of Cartoon Network, yet they are an expert on the subject of all things anime. (What I refer to as the average anime teen.)
Zentai suits that are not meant to stretch that far. Most places let you custom order sizing based on measurements... pleaaaaase do. Also, wear a dance belt. I was guilty on the dance belt already once.... walked in front of a room full of people too... everyone got a free show.
Conventions that spam EVERY social network with the SAME. FUCKING. POST. at least once ever 24 hours. Sometimes multiple times a day.

Convention Pet Peeves 1 year 11 months ago #5441

• Centurion
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 17
Captain Theo wrote:
Teddybear wrote:

Called finding someone you know there to go grab a con person on their ass. :) I've seen people get booted from shows over that sort of stuff.

Anyone who touches me without permission. Anyone.
People who block entire major walking areas to take pictures or have their picture taken. Be courteous enough to get to a side at least!
Anyone with a stroller, backpack on wheels, or other things I wish to deliver a swift kick to.
Large props being wielded by people who don't pay attention. Hit me in the face one more time motherfucker, see what happens!
People who follow you because you cosplay a character you like, therefor you are their new best friend for the convention.
Creepy motherfuckers.
Conventions that charge $40+ a day, for zero actual content. I'm talking no panels, viewing rooms, events... just you get in to shop and pay for autographs. If you're getting a ton  of people at that price, at least work out a deal with celebrities to give free autographs. Come on.
All of MotorCity ComicCon.
All of Youmacon.
Anime fans that do not know of any anime before the Toonami reboot, and do not intend on ever finding out that anime exists outside of Cartoon Network, yet they are an expert on the subject of all things anime. (What I refer to as the average anime teen.)
Zentai suits that are not meant to stretch that far. Most places let you custom order sizing based on measurements... pleaaaaase do. Also, wear a dance belt. I was guilty on the dance belt already once.... walked in front of a room full of people too... everyone got a free show.
Conventions that spam EVERY social network with the SAME. FUCKING. POST. at least once ever 24 hours. Sometimes multiple times a day.

Sounds like your pet peeve is "most people at an anime convention". More of a reason to get that "Vixencon" up and running.

I generally don't get too upset with people. I know most of them are going to be younger and a lot of them have...societal issues, so I give a lot of rope (perhaps too much). But DO NOT TALK to your friends in a crowded artist alley when the rest of us are trying to look for something to purchase. You have a whole convention hall to bullshit with people. 

Convention Pet Peeves 1 year 11 months ago #5442

• Darkhair
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 27
Teenies who are unsupervised and have no respect for property.  Little shits break everything at cons and not only does it lead to higher con costs, and stricter rules on props and whatnot.  I pretty much hate anyone under 18 at conventions that are by themselves.

Convention Pet Peeves 1 year 11 months ago #5443

• Teddybear
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 7
@darkhair-- Oh my god, I know exactly what you are talking about when it comes to underage people at conventions. I have my own artist alley table every year at a super small convention in my old hometown and nearly everybody else who goes there is a high schooler who just discovered anime. It really annoys me because I sell fairly cheap items at my table and young people just don't want to pay for shit. It really bothers me because they want an item and they're like, "can I just TAKE this?" One girl picked up an item of mine and wouldn't put it back down until she got it for free and she got all pouty and childish and I literally had to demand her to put it back and leave my table. A lot of parents attend the con too and they don't watch their small children and I have to constantly watch them to make sure toddlers don't walk off with my stuff. One day I really want to go to an 18+ only convention and have my a table there...... Honestly the most fun conventions I've been to in general are 18+ ones.

Convention Pet Peeves 1 year 11 months ago #5444

• Captain Theo
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
Teddybear wrote:
@darkhair-- Oh my god, I know exactly what you are talking about when it comes to underage people at conventions. I have my own artist alley table every year at a super small convention in my old hometown and nearly everybody else who goes there is a high schooler who just discovered anime. It really annoys me because I sell fairly cheap items at my table and young people just don't want to pay for shit. It really bothers me because they want an item and they're like, "can I just TAKE this?" One girl picked up an item of mine and wouldn't put it back down until she got it for free and she got all pouty and childish and I literally had to demand her to put it back and leave my table. A lot of parents attend the con too and they don't watch their small children and I have to constantly watch them to make sure toddlers don't walk off with my stuff. One day I really want to go to an 18+ only convention and have my a table there...... Honestly the most fun conventions I've been to in general are 18+ ones.

So... I do 3d printed props... Xoe and I just vended at a local show. 9 out of 10 parents who had small children *ignore* what their children do, or go "Oh isn't that cute!"... while each child would walk up, grab something off the table, and start BANGING IT INTO THE TABLE AS HARD AS THEY COULD! I sat there cringing wanting to strangle the child, then the parent, each time. If something broke, I was going to snap. -.- Longest day of my life. I can't stand kids to begin with, but having to deal with them as much as I did, in the capacity I did... some parents should have been sterilized. If you have a kid FUCKING WATCH YOUR FUCKING KID AND DON'T LET IT FUCK WITH EVERYTHING IN ARMS REACH! I'm sorry, I can't keep everything out of your kids reach because WE HAVE ONE TABLE WITH LIMITED SPACE! -.- So instead, how about you just watch your damn kids.

</rant>

Also, I hate unattended teens too. They weren't as bad at the local show... until two realized I'm a brony and had to go into ELABORATE DETAIL on their characters they made... including their bad voices. I can't express my disinterest enough. I seriously can't.
Time to create page: 0.277 seconds