Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Final Fantasy

Final Fantasy 2 years 2 months ago #4350

• Sciguy98
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
The greatest and most destructive question in all of gaming: Which is your favorite Final Fantasy game?

The game I played the most of hands down is FFXI. I played it for about 6 years starting around the release of Treasures of Aht Urghan. Rocked my sweet Red Mage until Abyssea kinda ruined the play dynamic. Now I spend most of my gaming time playing Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn (Ultros server if anyone else plays).

My favorite single player is X, probably because it was my first FF game and while I happily admit it had problems, I still loved it.

Honorable mentions to FFVII  for best story, FFVI for best characters, FFX-2 for best battle system (and best cosplayers), and FFXIII-2 for best gameplay.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Final Fantasy 2 years 2 months ago #4351

• Darkhair
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 27
My personal favorite overall is IX. I think it has the perfect balance with lighthearted fun to downright depressing sadness and the combat was probably the best. However VII still holds fast for the what I remember fondly in combat. Nothing beats fighting the final boss with all my characters, blood pumping from stress, switching back and fourth healing and what not keeping everyone alive. VIII probably is the most underrated game. I love it's art and story, but goddamn does that combat system drag it down something fierce. of course IV I've probably played over and over the most.

Final Fantasy 2 years 2 months ago #4369

• ArielleAquinas
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 68
FFVII is and always will be my favorite. 

I never got to play it when I was a kid, but I would watch my friends play it for HOURS. I'm one of those weird people that actually likes watching people play video games, and Final Fantasy is still one that I love to watch people play.
The Saint of Sexuality: Reverend Arielle 

Final Fantasy 2 years 2 months ago #4371

• Captain Theo
  • Gold Boarder
Seeing favorites being stuff X onward is just painful to me. This is ripping my organs out, you damn kids, get off my lawn!

My first Final Fantasy was the one released as Final Fantasy III in America on the SNES. My favorite is probably Tactics or VIII. I love 7, I aesthetically love XII, couldn't get into XI, hated IX, fucking monkey-tailed kid main character just pissed me off. It had the worst cast of all of the series to me. Couldn't stand X, emo main character problems. People complain about Squall, yet somehow adore Tidas, I don't get it. It bleeds teens angst. You could put Nirvanna as a soundtrack to that damn game. *shudders* XIII I barely played, it felt like a hallway, not an RPG. Skipped part 2 because of that. X-2 I can't say I even remember any of. I played XIV at LAUNCH and liked it, I was probably the only person. Stuck with it for about 4 months on PC before moving on because it felt so empty. I went two days without seeing another player once, I have Reborn on PS4 as a collectors edition.. it's still sealed, can't bring myself to get back into it.

Final Fantasy 2 years 2 months ago #4376

• Sciguy98
  • Expert Boarder
Theo, seriously, XIII-2 is an excellent game and you should give it a shot. It's got an amazing, fast combat system that involves a lot of customization and stategy, it's got the best voice acting of any Final Fantasy so far (looks like XV's may top it, though), and all of the characters are funny and likeable. It's everything we hoped XIII would be.

Speaking of which, I never understood the hallway complaint about XIII. Fanboys for years have complained that the world is about to end in VII but you still have all the time you need to raise chocobos and get master materia and get all the enemy skills, etc. XIII is supposed to take place over just the span of a few days and they still manage to cram in a bunch of character development. You take a direct route to the end because there's a sense of urgency about it.

And I like the original XIV too, even though it was nigh unplayable, but I absolutely love A Realm Reborn. It's sooooooo good and fun to play with an amazing story.

Final Fantasy 2 years 2 months ago #4379

• Darkhair
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 27
Cap, what exactly do you hate about the main characters of IX? If it's just his tail, then that doesn't make sense to me. And also III was technically VI and we didn't actually get the original III til years after the PS1 came out. And Sci what I think most people complain about the "hallway" aspect of XIII is because you at least at the freedom to explore and fight other monsters and in the old 8 bit final fantasies, find monsters waaaay above your level by doing so. It made the world feel more open. And even that would be forgivable if the characters weren't so terrible in XIII. I complain about squall being way more down and emo then he needs to be, but the other characters in VIII make up for that in their own styles and also basically verbally bashing squall for complaining too much. at least when I played it seemed that way to me anyway. Honestly, I think the FF team lost the art of good character development by X. There isn't a single character into and past the PS2 era that I could actually give a damn about.
Time to create page: 0.260 seconds